Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nature in your back (or front) yard.

Recently, I have been having some trouble getting out and about to take my photographs (or do much of anything) with a bad back. As I was relaxing in my rocking chair with my feet up and a heating bad on my lower back, my attention was attracted by a tapping sound. At first I ignored it as possibly a neighbor working in his garage. It became insistant - not constant - a tap, tap, tap ... tap, tap ... tap, tap, tap, tap ... I put down my book an looked out the windows to see if I could determine what was making the sound.

I finally located a woodpecker in the tree across my next door neighbor's front yard. Quickly, I grabbed my camera and took several shots through the window screen. In the camera, the images looked "okay". Later, I uploaded to my computer and did some enhancing of the images, resulting in 2-3 that were usable. As you can see, the window screen gives a soft "artsy" affect to the image.
Card - Greeting - Woodpecker
Card - Greeting - Woodpecker by bkmuir

I began reviewing my images from years ago. I remember walking all over San Francisco, either at lunch breaks, or on weekend days, taking photos of architectural elements. I also rode my bike into the back country  in Contra Costa County, grabbing shots of plants and animals. Or, more recently, I've taken off in my car to drive up the coast to Fort Bragg and taken shots of seals on the beach, windmills on the hills, etc.

However, it is the life I capture from my front room rocking chair that most amaze me. Here are just a few of the images that have resulted from just being aware of what is happening outside the window. As above, these were taken from the front room window.
Bus. Card - Spider on Web Business Cards
Bus. Card - Spider on Web Business Cards by bkmuir

The following images were captured from the back door, out to the backyard.
 
Magnet - Squirrel with nut
Magnet - Squirrel with nut by bkmuir

So, as you can see, you don't need to travel great distances to see nature in action. There are great photo opportunities right outside your window. 

No comments: