Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leap Year 2012

2012 is a "leap year" - there is an extra day added to the end of February, giving this month 29 days this year rather than 28. In reviewing information about this day, I learned some new facts. (New to me anyway.)
  1. Years that are evenly divisible by 100 are not leap years, unless they are also evenly divisible by 400, in which case they are leap years. (The year 2000 was a leap year, 2100 will NOT be a leap year). 
  2. When the rules of courtship were stricter, women were only allowed to pop the question on one day every four years. That day was February 29th. 
You can read more about this day at the following sites:
Leap Year Law, Marriage Proposals, and Leap Year Birthday Leapers
Leapyearday.com

I was born in a "leap year." I had grammar school classmates who were born on the 29th - Leap Day. This year they are in their mid-teens, whereas I am considerably beyond my teen years.



You can help observe this day, or assist a "leaper" in your life to celebrate with these items for birthdays and other activities.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Hello! I thought I would let you know that 1978 and 1982 were not leap years. I am a leap year baby and was born in 80. Great shirts though!