Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunflowers

I love sunflowers. They are so interesting to watch growing in the garden. One can almost see the growth while watching, they grow so fast. I love the bright yellow flowers against the blue sky and the large green leaves just amaze me with their vitality.

This year I had an exceptionally large flower and was able to take photographs at several stages. For the first time, I saw bees pollinating the florets. I also happened to see the that pollen was so thick that it fell onto the underlying leaves when the bees flew away.










Now the growing cycle is coming to an end and harvest is just around the corner. What does one do with the seeds and plants?

Some easy how-to articles from eHow (there are many more interesting articles)
How to shell
How to toast
How to compost

Here is one of my products on Zazzle that I made from my recent photos.
Postcard - Sunflower! postcard

There are so many wonderful products with sunflowers at Zazzle. Here is a link to just the posters (can you locate mine?).

No comments: