Thursday, September 30, 2010

Old interest revived!

BEES.

I first realized my interest in beekeeping while at Ortho Research Library and we did a hallway display on apiaries and the tools, clothing, books, etc. for the beekeeper.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the yard this year, I've been noticing the insect populations. I had my first close encounter with bees and pollination while I was taking closeup photos of my sunflowers. I noticed the flecks of pollen leaves beneath the object flower (so had to take a photo - at right). Then I noticed the bees and tried to get some closeups of them (really need to get a better camera for that).

This photo session of course led my mind to generating products for bee related themes. Thus, I began researching bees and beekeeping(again). I had a link to a supply store in Sebastopol, so I decided to take last weekend to devote to honey and bees.

Saturday I drove to Sebastopol to vist the store "BeeKind". It is quite interesting. The front is devoted to various types of honey in various size jars. Next is a small room with beeswax and items related to making candles. In back is a large room for beekeeping supplies (clothing, hives, extractors, etc.).

While talking with the staff, I was told about a free "beginning beekeeping" class for the next day. So ... I had to drive back on Sunday for this informative talk. (This was during our second big heat wave of 100+ temperatures - so I kept cool while in the air conditioned car and the auditorium had air conditioning also.)
Here is a video that was made of the speaker Doug Vincent setting up new hives.


I came home and continued my investigation as to what bee groups were on the internet, where local groups and suppliers are located, etc. I joined the forums at Beesource.com. Of course, I began making more bee themed products for my store.

Here are the most recent products I have made:
T-shirt - Beekeepers do it for the honey shirt Bumper Sticker - Apiarists do itf or the hive bumpersticker

No comments: